|Hitman's Bodyguard Tops Dismal Labor Day Weekend Box Office
Posted: September 3, 2017
(CelebrityAccess) -- Lionsgate's "Hitman's Bodyguard" topped domestic box office in what turned out to be the most dismal Labor Day weekend in more than 20 years.
'Bodyguard' which faced no competition from new releases, cleared just $10.2M in domestic markets over the weekend and $24.5M worldwide, where it slipped to #2 on the strength of Warner Bros. war movie "Dunkirk" after opening in China and Italy this week.
The revitalized 'Dunkirk' cleared $40.6M worldwide over the weekend, according to estimates compiled by comScore, helping to push it to a worldwide cumulative tally of $458.8m.
Warner Bros. horror prequel 'Annabelle: Creation' also continued to churn along in the top 3 both in the U.S. and international markets. Over the course of the weekend, the film added $22.9M worldwide.
The top 12 worldwide weekend box office estimates, listed in descending order, per data collected as of Sunday, September 3, are below.
1. Dunkirk - Warner Bros. - $40.6M
2. Hitman's Bodyguard, The - Multiple - $24.5M
3. Annabelle: Creation - Warner Bros. - $22.9M
4. Despicable Me 3 - Universal - $12.3M
5. Valerian And The City Of A Thousand Planets - Multiple - $11.3M
6. Cars 3 - Disney - $10.3M
7. Silver Soul (Gintama) - Multiple - $9.5M
8. Emoji Movie, The - Sony - $9.2M
9. American Made - Universal - $9.1M
10. Wolf Warrior 2 - Multiple - $8.7M
11. Dark Tower, The - Sony - $7.7M
12. Wind River - Multiple - $6.7M
The top 12 domestic weekend box office estimates, listed in descending order, per data collected as of Sunday, September 3, are below.
1. Hitman's Bodyguard, The - Lionsgate - $10.2M
2. Annabelle: Creation - Warner Bros. - $7.3M
3. Wind River - The Weinstein Company - $5.9M
4. Leap! - The Weinstein Company - $4.9M
5. Logan Lucky - Bleecker Street - $4.4M
6. Dunkirk - Warner Bros. - $4.1M
7. Spider-Man: Homecoming - Sony - $3.6M
8. Emoji Movie, The - Sony - $2.5M
9. Despicable Me 3 - Universal - $2.4M
10. Girls Trip - Universal - $2.3M
11. Nut Job 2: Nutty By Nature - Open Road - $2.0M
12. Wonder Woman - Warner Bros. - $1.9M